This institute is taught by professional artists and master teachers in arts integration and provides hands-on activities in the visual and performing arts, instruction in the multiple intelligences, and guidance in using the arts across the curriculum. In addition to classroom instruction hours, this institute must include a field trip to a company that focuses on innovation and science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) thinking and four separate arts events from the areas of visual arts, music, theater, dance, historic preservation, and opera for participants to attend and critique.
The institute must focus on curriculum, assessment, and instruction in STEAM and provide a STEAM challenge for participants.
Participating teachers will:
• Gain knowledge about incorporating the arts in their own classroom (especially in the areas of STEAM);
• Write critically about their experiences in attending four arts events (visual art exhibition, concert, theater production, dance performance);
• Develop a lesson plan (using the CLIA Lesson Plan format) that will include STEAM challenges;
• Participate in STEAM Challenges during the weeklong intense instruction;
• Visit a company that focuses on innovation and STEAM thinking.
Pre-Muse Machine Institute meeting: Online Discussion
Muse Machine Institute Week: June 24-28, 2019 at Chapman Cultural Center in Spartanburg
Post-Muse Machine Institute: Online Discussion
June 24 - June 28
Chapman Cultural Center
SC Department of Education