This institute is designed to equip elementary classroom teachers (administrators and arts specialists are welcome to attend) with the skills and knowledge needed to effectively integrate the arts into the core curriculum.
• Explore the stages of the creative thinking process and identify methods to engage students in creative thinking,
• Build knowledge of the basic elements of each major art form (Music, Drama, Visual Art, Dance),
• Refine lesson planning skills to embed opportunities for creative thinking and self-expression through the arts, and
• Identify “natural fit” connections between South Carolina content area standards and the arts.
The institute includes:
• All materials, including books, and CDs,
• Three and one-half days in Charleston during the Spoleto Festival USA including hotel accommodations, workshops, and three evening performances
• Meals and travel expenses are NOT included in this institute.
Saturday Session A (Attend one A Session)
March 16- East Point Academy in Columbia
April 6- Ashley River Creative Arts Elementary- Charleston
Saturday Session B (Attend one B Session)
April 13- East Point Academy in Columbia
June 1- Ashley River Creative Arts Elementary- Charleston
Spoleto Workshop Dates (Attend all)
June 5 – 8 (Wednesday afternoon- Saturday) – Charleston – Ashley River Creative Arts Elementary
(half day on Saturday) with evening performances on June 5, 6, and 7.
Location: Charleston and Spoleto Festival USA
June 05 - June 08
SC Department of Education